Quiz: Loathsome or awesome – what kind of teammate are you?
Study International Staff
23 Jan 2019
At university, group projects are either the bane of your existence or the best thing that could happen.
Depending on the type of student you are, you’ll either loathe them, seeing them as opportunities for lazy students to latch on to you to help them pull their grades up, or you could be the one relying on others to get you through.
We know – succeeding as a team requires a lot of patience, hardwork and compromise, especially when you’re working beside so many taxing personalities. But teamwork is not only part of your academic life, it will soon be part of your working life too.
So, what kind of teammate are you?
Let’s find out.
1. Your lecturer has ‘randomly’ (pfft!) assigned your class into teams for your group project. Which of the following statement best reflects what you’re likely to do next?
2. Your first group meeting will be held after lunch. Which of the following statements best describes you?
3. It’s time to elect a team leader. Do you:
4. Your team leader has assigned everyone their tasks, as well as deadlines for completion. Between now and the deadline, you are most likely to be the person who:
5. As the witching hour for your deadline looms, you…
6. Everyone in the team has completed their task except for one person. You...
Loathsome or awesome? Find out what kind of teammate are you with our quiz
The reliable teammate
You care about your grades even if your teammates don’t, but that’s not going to stop you from shining. You’re willing to go the extra mile to ensure things are done on time, even if it means hustling others into action. You may not see yourself as a leader, but when push comes to shove, you’ll take the lead and steer your team to victory - or as close as possible to it!
The quiet teammate
You’re responsible enough to attend all your meetings and get tasks done, but you may be too shy to speak up at meetings and prefer others to do the talking. Needless to say, you’ll avoid taking on leadership roles and prefer to work behind the scenes.
The major procrastinator
Chances are, you’re someone who needs that last-minute panic coursing through your veins before your creative juices kick into action. You’re a bit more laid back and prefer working closer to the deadline to keep your motivation up. You may frustrate some of your teammates with your laidback nature, but you know that at the end of the day, you’ll get your part of the task done.
The person no one wants on the team...
Ai yai yai! It’s not just control freaks or those who care about their grades who will find it difficult to work with you; chances are, you’re the teammate no one wants to get stuck with - ever. You may have a tendency to not show up to meetings, failing to complete your end of the bargain and simply going MIA over the course of your group assignment. Perhaps it’s time to change your ways and be more responsible for your work in group projects?